Monday, September 15, 2014

A disabled combat veteran, turned superhero?

I know, they're already superheroes.

But in our story ...


Hey!” The Rustler said. “Who’s there?” He drew an intimidating pistol in each hand, from under his duster coat. “Show yourself!”

“I’m right here!” A big man in a green and gunmetal suit strode into sight, broken glass and building debris crunching under his feet. “I didn’t mean to startle you, pardner. Real sorry—if I did.”

“You done nuthin’ of the sort,” The Rustler said. “You better stop worrying about me, Machine Ranger—and start worrying about yourself.”

“Me? Worry? Why would I …”

The Rustler started to unload his pistols on the Machine Ranger, but the hail of bullets only sparked and pinged off his metal suit.

Soon The Rustler’s pistols clicked empty.

“You about done, Rustler?”

“Just until I reload, Machine Head.”

The Rustler’s sidekick revved aggressively, and strained against the cowboy.


Machine Ranger pointed his arms straight ahead, at The Rustler. “Yeah … about reloading …” The silvery barrels of the Gatling machine guns encircling his upper arms whirred around a few times, and then clicked to a stop. “Don’t do that. You’re under arrest, tumbleweed breath.”


Machine Ranger on Machine Ranger ...


You see, I came to realize that, although I’m kind of stuck with my injuries, being handicappedyou know, being compromised … being limited, as a person, and as a manTHAT I realized was MY choice. And I chose not to go there. I actually figured I could do something about it.”

“I see.”

“Do you see? It’s my work.”

“Oh … with the robots and everything?”

“Yes, that’s it. And the nanotechnology. And everything else.”

“Better living through technology, huh?”

“Exactly. It’s my dream to be able to help all the others, 
hurt like me, get back to

“The battlefield?” she said. “For more fighting?”


“Well, I …”


It's 100% fun, and appropriate for all ages!

Available at AmazoniBooksSmashwords.com,
Books-A-Million, and most other online booksellers.


No comments:

Post a Comment