Saturday, April 4, 2020

Miley Virus in "Sick Powers - #1"






The cool night hit her like a breath of fresh air.  Through her facemask.

“I should lose the mask,” she thought. “But it’s not safe.  So much for being inconspicuous.” She ran for the dark alleyway. “If I’m gonna stand out, I’d better move fast.”

Once sheltered by darkness, her pace slowed to a brisk walk. “This will work until a get my bearings.  Where the heck am I anyway?”

###

“Gone?  How can she be gone? Are you sure?” The stern woman looked none too pleased.

The nurse braced herself like she was expecting a blow. “She is not in her room, Doctor Stone.  I’m sure of that.”

Stone growled. “We’d better find that girl.  Or else.”
“I understand.”

“Get finding, then.”

The nurse turned to go, but stopped short as a man in uniform came in through the door.

“Have you heard?” Doctor Stone demanded.

“Yes.”

“I spoke to the detail,” the nurse said, “on my way to see you.”

“That’s nice,” Stone said. “And appropriate.  The security should be the first to know.” She seethed. “In time to keep an escape from happening!”

The nurse and the man each took a step back.

“Bollinger.  Do you know anything?”

“Yes, I have some information.”

“Good.  Apparently how to run security at a hospital has escaped you, much like our patient.  What in the name of incompetence DO you know?”

“We have gone to the security footage.”

“Good, that seems sensible, every inch of our facility is on camera.”

“We don’t know how she got out of her room.  Those cameras were unfortunately … offline.”

The nurse braced herself again.

The head of security was placid.

Doctor Stone scowled. “Offline.  Of course they were.”

“Network issue, I believe.  Or maybe a software problem this time?  One of those, I’m pretty sure.”

“You must be kidding me!  So many heads to roll … so little time … we MUST track that girl down!  Her sickness makes her so dangerous … for the public … and for me … and for all of you!”

“I think I have a pretty good idea where she is.”


“You do?  Oh you’d better play your cards right here mister, you might survive this …”
###
By Harlowe Pilgrim

Copyright 2020 Cock and Bull Publishing, LLC

Harlowe Pilgrim’s books are available at Amazon, iBooks,
Smashwords.com, Books-A-Million, and most other online booksellers.


No comments:

Post a Comment