Saturday, April 18, 2020

Miley Virus in "Sick Powers - #3"

A fire engine screamed past just as Miley emerged from the side street.

Guess that accounts for the siren.  Not the hospital cops after all.

Still better keep moving.

She walked along the main street, quickly as she could without appearing to be running.  No need to attract attention.  The face mask was more than enough.

Her eyes kept down at the sidewalk, she hoped to minimize the impact of the mask.

I wish I had one of those high-collared trench coats.  That would be perfect.  Other than making me look like a flasher.  Not exactly the look I’m going for.

She stuck to cover as well as she could.

Blend in with your surroundings, Miley.  That’s right.  You’re a chameleon.  Invisible.

“Pssst.  Hey, face mask.  Yeah you.”

She stopped and looked up.  So much for invisibility.

“Pssst.  Over here.”

Somebody was beckoning her into another dark side street up ahead.

Her antenna went up immediately.

She started walking again.

Maybe I should just keep on going.

“Face mask!  Quick, get in here!”

The boy was waving her in frantically.

Her gut told her to go with him.  She was as surprised as anybody.

No sooner had she disappeared into the side street than she turned back and saw the procession of hospital security vehicles pass.  They were rolling slowly at search speed with amber lights flashing.

“See what I mean?” the boy said. “If you stay out in the open they’ll have you for sure.”

“Thanks.  I owe you one.”

“That’s right. Remember that.”

“Okay.  Why did you help me anyway?”

“I saw how you handled Brick and everybody before.”

“Oh.  You’re with them.” She turned to leave.  Open lighted spaces and hospital security be damned.

“No man, you got it wrong.”

She stopped. “I’m not exactly a man, so I guess you got it wrong, kid.”

“Kid?  I’ve been taking care of myself since forever.  I ain’t no kid.”

“What’s your name?”

“Rufus.  What’s yours?”

“Miley.”

“What were you saying to Brick and everybody?  You’re sick or something?  That really what’s up with the freaky mask?”

“I … carry a virus.  I’m not sick like I don’t feel sick.  But people can catch it from me.  Even my dog caught it from me.  He died too.”

“Seriously?  Damn.”

“Yes.  Exactly.”

“Am I gonna die?”

“Eventually.”

“Right now?  From you?”

“You should be okay.  As long as you don’t touch my skin.  And as long as I don’t breathe on you.”

“So far so good then.”

“Best if you keep you distance,” she said.

“Thanks for the tip.  I think I’ll do that.  We’d better get going.”

“Going where?”

“Let’s get off the street,” he said. “It’s gonna be morning soon.  In the light there ain’t nowhere to hide.”

“Sounds good to me.  I could use a little rest.  Do you have any … food?  I’m starved.” Her stomach had been growling so loudly it was embarrassing.

“Not really.  Don’t suppose you have any money?”

“Not really,” she said.

“Meaning?”

“Meaning no,” she said, “I don’t have any money.”


“That’s okay Miley Virus.  We’ll get some.  We’ll just have to employ some alternative methods.”


###
By Harlowe Pilgrim

Copyright 2020 Cock and Bull Publishing, LLC

Harlowe Pilgrim’s books are available at Amazon, iBooks,
Smashwords.com, Books-A-Million, and most other online booksellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment